Friday, April 20, 2012 Lessons From The Pros: Our Go-To Smoky Eye
If there’s one makeup trick that every girl should have in the bag, it’s the perfect smoky eye. It never fails to make us feel vampy, even when we’re just running to the grocery. Hey, you never know who you’ll bump into! We’re especially fond of this fresh take on the look, since it’s totally day-friendly but can easily be transformed into a more dramatic look for a night out. So here’s the secret to mastering our favorite smoky eye.
1. Start by sweeping a bronze shadow all over your eyelid for a warm base. We use a long, narrow brush to apply everything to make blending easy breezy. As for the shadow, we love Nars Galapagos.
2. Don’t forget to apply shadow under your bottom lashes, too! Make sure to blend it in to avoid the dreaded raccoon eye.
3. Next, apply a matte black shadow near the lash line, then blend up to the crease in a back-and-forth motion. The windshield wiper effect will basically do the blending work for you.
4. Use a cotton swab to correct the shape and pick up any excess shadow that falls. Then, if you want to make your eyes pop, add a burst of color with a bold eyeshadow at at the inner and outer corners of your eyelid and the center of your bottom lash.
5. Now it’s time for mascara! We swear by DiorShow – it fattens your lashes, doesn’t clump, and even smells nice.
6. Finally, line your top and bottom water line (that little rim by your eye) with a black kohl liner. This keeps it light and day-friendly. If you want something a bit more dramatic for night, simply line your lash line and use a brush to blend it into the shadow.