In a ideal world, David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust makeup would be everyday wear, but depending on where you work, you might not be able to pull it off (here at Nasty Gal, we wouldn’t bat a well-lined eye). But since Halloween is right around the corner, and it’s the one night a year when unleashing your inner freak is not only accepted but encouraged, we tapped makeup artist extraordinaire Jen Budner to walk us through the steps for creating your own perfect lightning-strikes look.
1. Start by using Scotch tape to block out the shape of the orange portion of the lightning bolt.
2. Take orange cream face paint and drag your brush along the inside of the tape.
3. Remove tape and fill in the entire shape of the lightning bolt.
4. Use a turquoise cream color and follow the orange along the outer portion of the lightning bold, and blend outward.
5. With an angle brush, paint a thin black line in between both colors (orange/turquoise).
6. Finish look with black mascara on the lashes.